Friday, October 15, 2010

When a children's book makes you think

I love when I come across something that makes me think. It could be a great article, movie, book, or a comment I overhear. This morning it was PUT ME IN THE ZOO by Robert Lopshire. If you haven't read it, you should. The message applies to adults, and I can't believe I never got it until now. I've read it a dozen times to my son but for some reason this morning, it just clicked.

For those who haven't read it, it's about an animal, although I'm not sure what kind of animal he is, who wants to live in the zoo. When two kids ask him why, why should he be in the zoo, the animal comes up with reasons as to why he thinks it would be great. But then the kids introduce him to the circus, and suddenly, he realizes that he shouldn't be in the zoo, he should be in the circus. The circus is the place for him.

If you don't quite get how big this message is, I'll explain. We could be spending our entire lives chasing a dream we constructed based on the few experiences we've had. Maybe we are hitting ourselves over the head wondering why our dreams aren't coming true, when actually, we are just chasing the wrong dreams.

If we don't try new things or expose ourselves to new people, ideas, concepts, and other ways of thinking, we could be chasing a dream that might not be the right dream for us. If we open ourselves up to new experiences, maybe our dreams will change for the better, and maybe we will find a dream that does come true.

See what I mean! This book is huge! If all I ever know is x, then I'll never discover y, and y could be the greatest thing ever.

Ok, maybe I'm laying the inspiration on thick, but I'm very enthusiastic this afternoon. So - this weekend, in honor of PUT ME IN THE ZOO, I will put myself in a new experience and see where it takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment