Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Tuesday night politics

It's another Tuesday night,and I'm writing and watching Glee and it's a sad one, kids. Seriously, it's about to break my heart.

So I thought I would distract myself with some political discussion.

I live in South Carolina, and in the past bunch of years, I've been horrified by a slew of political events. Between Mark Sanford's Incredible Disappearing Act (for which he received no noticeable punishment, and has been allowed to finish out his term of governance - go figure!) and Joe Wilson's famous "You lie" at a President I highly respect, I've shaken my head in disgust more than once.

To be fair, New Jersey, my original home state, isn't much better - between Snooki and the recent smackdowns on corrupt politics, it's not like I have much to brag about there, either.

But oh, South Carolina, seriously, what were you thinking when you elected Jim DeMint to the Senate (I can say you - I did NOT vote for him). He's horrible!

If you have read much of this blog, you may already know that I get fired up about civil rights, and DeMint's record of opposing openly gay men and unwed mothers who teach...well, it really makes me physically ill. Who is he to say what makes a fit and able teacher?

How can someone's sexual orientation affect their teaching skills? It seems to fall under the same assumption that people use to oppose the repeal of Don't Ask, Don't tell - clearly, all gay people hit on EVERY SINGLE PERSON of the same gender who happens to come their way. Right? Isn't that what everyone's afraid of? Well, that's the same to me as saying I should not be allowed to work with straight men because they might one day hit on me. Utterly ridiculous.

And, ok, I like family values as much as the next person. We have dinner in my house at 6:00 every night, even though Zoe is only two and mealtimes are as much about arguing with her to stay in her seat as they are about meaningful, loving conversation. But women have babies out of wedlock - it happens all the time. Sometimes it's an accident, other times it's on purpose, and who the hell am I to say that I'm a better person than they are simply because I am married. I'm not. Utterly ridiculous.

No one in the government should ever judge another person based on their lifestyle choices; it makes for the creation of bad laws that infringe upon all of our civil rights.

And it's really rude, too. To say the least.

1 comment:

  1. Leah-- you shouldn't work with me either-- you know lesbians can't resist hitting on ALL women either! ;) --A. Sloane

    ReplyDelete