Sunday, October 3, 2010

Sometimes it's a little hard to write

I have big plans.

I've mentioned before that I am interested in working on a couple stories for upcoming Writer's Digest contests. I've been having fun doing some editing for Marissa. I've enjoyed blogging thus far.

I also decided that I'd like to try some more essay writing (my strength) to submit pieces to a few online magazines I like. I want to get published.

Last week was a little hectic; ok, most weeks around here are hectic. I'm used to it. But since I was worn out from our crazy weekend in New Jersey, I planned to give myself a break by sending Zoe to school on Friday, giving myself a free day at home.

I had big plans.

I wanted to go for a long run in the early hours of the day, then clean my house (focusing on one unruly closet) so it was sparkly. Then, I planned to write.

I planned hours of writing, in fact! I had three pieces on which I wanted to work, all of them clearly defined in my head. By Thursday night, I was practically giddy with excitement.

Until about 11:00 p.m., that is. That's when Zoe first woke up and started crying. I could tell from her gasping breaths that her nose was completely congested, making sucking on her pacifier (her one vice, and only at night) impossible.

About an hour later, she was asleep again, and I knew she had a cold. Not a bad one, really, but it was enough - no way could I send even a semi-sick little girl to school when I was already staying home.

So I had to put my writing plans on hold; Zoe is a notoriously bad sleeper/napper when sick, and she has held true to that all weekend long. So we've spent a lot of time in and around the house since Friday - luckily, we've had the best weather EVER, so all our windows have been open, keeping my normal stir-craziness slightly at bay.

I finally sat down this afternoon and got a rough draft done on one essay; the others have gone the way of so many ideas - far, far away.

The good news is that, crazy as life is, it provides lots of writing material. We are certainly never dull.

Now I'm going to go blow my own stuffy nose and pretend that my throat doesn't actually hurt.

I still have big plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment