Monday, January 17, 2011

What a difference a year makes...but not really...

It's 2011. Holy cow, it just took me three tries to actually type the correct year. I am amazed by the fact that, when I went to go renew my passport this week, I realized twelve years had passed since I first got it! I looked like such a BABY in that picture!

So, eleven years ago I was still in college in New Jersey. Now I'm married to my Southern boy and I have a kid. CRAZY.

That said, even just a year ago, life was SO different. Or was it? Just for kicks, I thought I'd compare year-to-year, 2010 to 2011.

2010, MLK week...oh, this was SUCH a bad week. Zoe was a little older than 18 months old, and not really talking much (her best words were "Beep boop beep boop" as a response to the question, "What does R2D2 say?"). We'd recently become completely disenchanted with her day care and had decided to switch her to her current school, the Cadillac of pre-schools in Charleston. This was the week the switch happened.

So, a little background, too. Charles and I work for a software company that releases our products cyclically. When we release, there is always drama with loooooooong hours, and one or the other of us typically has to work late a few times a week. The week of the school switch, this week last year, was a release week. Charles had just become a manager, and he had to work late almost every night.

And to top things off, I had the worst case of bronchitis I've ever had. I. Felt. Like. Garbage. It was awful. I could barely stand up, but I was forcing myself to go to work, to take care of Zoe, do do all the things I typically do. It did not go well.

So we had a sick Mom, a busy Dad, and a new school for Zoe, and that transition was NOT easy. At all. She cried for hours each day in her new class and didn't nap much. When I picked her up each day, she was exhausted and miserable, sort of like I was feeling. And I was on my own.

I made my mom come over a couple days that week, and thank goodness she did - she basically rescued Zoe and me from certain doom. (OK, that is a little dramatic...)

It was awful.

So now, 2011, MLK week. This year, it's Zoe who has bronchitis...again. Yes, I think it's a relapse of the same bout she had two weeks ago, and it's pretty awful. I've never heard her cough like this. But today we got some new antibiotics, and even though she's coughing as I type, she's already at least a little better. On the mend, I hope. Zoe and I will be staying home again tomorrow, on our own, and I'm looking forward to a day on the couch, under blankets, and with the TV on, so she can hopefully sleep it off.

It's a release week at work. Again. Charles will be working long hours, and again, I probably can't due to the work/life balance...which is fine with me. I like my job, but I love my family. And that said, I will probably call my mom tomorrow to see if she wants to come hang out after work until Charles gets home...frequently, an extra mom is a great thing.

And finally, we found out last week that even though we followed the rules for re-enrollment at the Cadillac of pre-schools, we didn't follow them well enough, and her enrollment is now in question for the next academic year. Apparently, a lot of the half-day three-year upped their enrollment from half-day to full-day, and since we waited till the last minute to turn in our paperwork, we wound up on the wait-list.

Um...WHAT??? Are you kidding me?

I'm optimistic enough to think that it'll all work out and we won't have to find a new school for Zoe (ohmigod, I don't want to leave this school!!!), but still. It's a stress I don't need this week.

So there you have it...one year later, and we have another case of bronchitis, perhaps my mom to the rescue, and another software release week. Oh, and enrollment issues for Zoe.

Weird...times change, but not really sometimes.

All that said, Zoe herself is WAY different this year. Some recent cuteness...

1. Her favorite song is "Hey Jude" and she sings it. All the time. I love it. In fact, today she sang it for the P.A. at the doctor's office. SO sweet.

2. Sometimes, at the end of her bath, she sits on a little toy boat and refuses to get out, even though all the water has been drained. Why, you might wonder? Because she's "stuck in traffic," as she will tell me over and over. She'll only get out if Charles comes upstairs to see her.

3. When we're talking about things to do, she'll suggest something, and then look at me and say, "Is that a great idea?" or "Is that a option?" Super-sweet.

4. She can look at a book and tell you all the letters (provided they are CAPITAL), and then say, "Mommy, what did I spell?"


No comments:

Post a Comment