Friday, January 7, 2011

This is how my mind works

By now everyone has heard about the mysterious dead birds dropping from the sky all over the world. There were dead birds in Arkansas, Kentucky, Sweden and Italy, and then there were the dead fish too. Thousands of them turning belly-up in rivers not far from the dead birds.

At first I thought the dead birds were a little creepy, but I was sure there had to be some logical reason for their deaths and knew that by the end of the week some scientist would come on TV and explain the whole thing.

But then I heard about a second crop of dead birds, and then a third, and no one was explaining it. Where were the scientists to tell me this was nothing to worry about?

I tried to push all the crazy thoughts from my mind. Were there invisible UFO's hovering over us? Was there a terrible virus that would turn against humans? Was the government testing something and the dead birds were a side effect? Was it the end of the world?

I tried all week not to think about the dead birds. Every time a thought entered my mind, I would push it away. I was successful in my avoidance of the issue until I checked Facebook this morning. A friend of mine spent last night posting theories about the dead bird phenomenon.

I wanted to read her theories but knew I shouldn't. My mind was too ready to runaway with a conspiracy theory or world-ending prophecy. I tried to look away, I did. I told myself not to read the theories of a non-scientist as they would only create more hype and the last thing I needed was to worry about invisible UFO's. But my eyes locked in on the words "end of the world", "pack my bags and prepare", "Nostradamus 2011", "massive earthquakes." The more I read, the more my heart rate elevated.

I turned my fear into anger. Why would she post all this stuff? This was not for the weak. I seriously considered defriending her right then and there.

How could the world be coming to an end? There was so much I want to do, to see, to experience. The very thought that Max wouldn't have a future might send me into a panic. What if I never saw my family and friends again? Would I ever be able to sit on the beach and soak up the sun again? Was it really all coming to an end? If so, I'm going to be really pissed I didn't eat that piece of chocolate cake I wanted last night.

Luckily, I met Leah for lunch and told her about my newfound fear of the dead birds. When I arrived home this afternoon, I had this nice little link from Leah waiting for me. FACT CHECK: Mass bird, fish deaths occur regularly

Phew, thank goodness. I'll sleep sound tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment