Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Someone has a lot less to worry about today

Two people will split $335 million this week in one of the largest lottery payouts. Of course this prompted me to think about what I would do if I won $167.5 million. Although I have to admit this is not the first time I've played out this daydream. Often during long roadtrips, my hubby and I will play the what-would-we do-if-we-won-the-lottery-game and it usually ends with one of us getting frustrated that we haven't yet won the lottery because we would make GREAT lottery winners.

It's not the money that is so appealing to me, it's the freedom that might come with it. If we had no financial worries, which is typically the one thing that holds us down, what would we do?

The first thing I would do is the obvious, payoff our debt. Then I would payoff the debt of my family members and close friends. I would buy a bigger house, but not a huge house, just a nice house with a big yard for Max to run around in. I might buy a new car and maybe a small recreational boat (we do live on the coast.) I would update my wardrobe, buy a Kindle and fill it with all the books I want to read, go on a fabulous shopping spree to decorate our new house, and buy my husband a Playstation, just because he wants one.

I would set aside enough for Max and his future siblings to live comfortably off of for the rest of their lives. I would put away some for us to live off of. Then I would give the rest away. $167.5 million is too much for me to ever spend and I don't want the kind of lifestyle that requires that much to support.

And since I wouldn't have to worry about going back to work to make money, I would write till my little heart's content.

What would you do with $167.5 million?

2 comments:

  1. I'd do a lot of the same things...a slightly nicer house, give a LOT away, help family and friends who need it. I'd also travel quite a bit - I think I have a bit more of the travel bug than you, and I'd love to see as much of the world as I can. We'd probably have a house in the NC mountains and an apartment in New York, to keep me happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would build a spaceship and/or a time machine.

    ReplyDelete