Monday, August 23, 2010

What's my name again?

Occasionally words will fly out of my mouth and I think, "Oh, God, I am just like my mother." This happened to me several times over the last few days. I usually react to things like this as a sign I need to go visit her. So, if you are reading this, mom, look out – I’m coming to see you.

I knew this was bound to happen. Over the years subtle ticks, funny sayings, little nuances, have shown up in my mannerisms and dialogue that are things only my mother would do. I’ve always had her eyes and smile, but now I have her same interests in window dressings, plants, kitchen utensils, throw pillows, and good magazines. I also have her fear of a stranger grabbing me in a parking lot, and since Max was born, I share her over-the-top-oh-my-god-I’ll-try-not-to-call-the-Doctor-everyday worrying.

So, I have provided a few examples below of my slow metamorphous into my mother.

First example. This past Sunday, my hubbie and I had the TV on in the background while we drank our morning coffee and played with Max. I found myself drawn further and further into a clip about the history of refrigerators and the importance of the Thonet chair. After leaning closer to the TV and not blinking for a few minutes, I pulled myself away and said to my hubbie, "I can't believe I find this so interesting." Ten years ago, I would have plucked my eyeballs out if I was forced to watch this. But now, I find myself thinking about the Thonet chair to the point that I googled it last night (yes, that is a little embarrassing to admit.)

Second example. I took Max to a fabric store to look through bins of discount scraps at the slight chance their might be a good piece of fabric for a pillow.

Third example. I have too many house plants. They are starting to take over our house. I have five plants in our bedroom, four in our kitchen, two in Max's room, one in the bathroom, two in the den, and three on our back porch that I am going to have to bring inside when it gets cold. This morning, I walked Max around the house to water them and we stopped at each plant to sing it a song. My mother would be so proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment