Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Nothing can keep me from you

My computer crashed and died last Thursday. The timing was terrible. I had a webinar I was attending at 1:00 pm hosted by Writer's Digest and led by Rachelle Gardner, a literary agent. She was discussing query letters and pitches, and I was giddy with excitement.

But that was not the first thing that tried to stop me from attending this webinar. I am a stay-at-home mom who has no family in the immediate vicinity. When things like writing webinars, or veterinarian appointments, or dentist appointments, or anything else come up, I call my mother who lives three hours away. She comes in town for the night and watches Max while I attend whatever it is I have to do. I should probably find a babysitter, but that requires a lot of work, like background checks and lie detector tests, I kid, (but not really).

Thursday morning, my mother calls me at 7:30 am from her garage. The battery in her car is dead. My father takes care of it and she gets on the road.

She calls me at 11:00 am from the middle of nowhere, thirty minutes out of town. She has a flat tire.

I wake up a napping Max and we drive out to pick her up, leaving her car on the side of the road. We make it back to my house with twenty minutes to spare before my webinar.

I sit down at my computer at 12:50 pm, log into the webinar and wait patiently. Right when Rachelle comes on and utters the word, "Welcome", I get a blue screen followed by a black one that says something about a SATA disk drive error. This means nothing to me. I don't speak this kind of computer. But, I did know this was a bad thing, a very bad thing.

I practically scream, then run to find my old laptop and boot it up before I miss too much of the webinar.

I finally made it back on just as Rachelle clicks off a slide that I didn't get a chance to read. I can only hope the secret to writing was not revealed on that slide.

The point of my story is...nothing can keep me from my dream of becoming a writer. Dead batteries, flat tires, SATA disk drive errors, nothing. I will find a way to write, I will find a way to learn more, I will find a way to attend a writing webinar.

No comments:

Post a Comment