Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A day in the life...

So, my brain is all over the place today, and in the past few days I've written about seven different posts, all of which are too long and not good. So I thought I'd just take a moment to take you through a typical day for this working mom...and along the way, I hope to share some good content/posts about the rest of the world.

5 a.m. Rats, that's the alarm. It's playing some random song that I hate because it woke me up. Get up, shower, get Zoe ready for school, make some food, head on out. This is, as always, the most stressful part of my day, and I hate dropping Zoe off.

8 a.m. Really start to focus on work. Test test test software, bicker with a developer over whether an issue is a valid defect, and if so, when should it be fixed?

BRAIN BREAK: Find out that the stay on gay marriage (i.e. Prop 8) has been extended while a federal appeals court takes a look at it. *^$&^%^*& That stinks, but there's still hope. I have to hope.

10 a.m. Test test test software, same argument is ongoing. I really hope we can move on soon.

BRAIN BREAK: I find this story, as linked to via Twitter by Will Hoge, a singer who I love. Will stopped in the middle of his set at Monster Music on Record Store Day this year to sing the ABCs to Zoe. So the fact that he linked to this story of another musician taking a sincere interest in an aspiring guitarist seems so honest. It made me happy.

11 a.m. Test test test. Oh my GOD, can we please move past this one issue that has killed my entire morning?

11:30 Work out! Hooray! I love having a gym in my office.

Noon: Mmmm....pizza for lunch! Also, test test test sill on that same issue. Sigh.

BRAIN BREAK: Charles sends me this link by a blogger discussing the so-called, misnamed "Ground Zero Mosque." I love it when someone can blast through the drama surrounding an issue, point out the facts, and come to a reasonable conclusion. I was as affected by 9/11 as anyone else in the tri-state area, but the insane vitriol surrounding the building of a community center two blocks away from the memorial makes me ill.

Rest of the afternoon: Test test test, never reach a conclusion on that annoying issue that refuses to die.

4 p.m. Time to go! Pick up Zoe!! Hooray! I always miss that crazy girl when she's away from me. Charles and I pick up a sweaty, happy child who had a great time playing in the sandbox, and has the stinky/sweaty Crocs to prove it. Did you know Crocs can smell? I didn't...

5 p.m. Make black bean tacos for dinner, the leftovers of which get eaten and then barfed up by my cat. Gross. They're in the trash now. Bummer.

6:30 p.m. Go for a post-meal "barefoot walk" with Zoe. We wander down our block, looking at bugs, hopping over cracks and waving at our neighbors. We talk about school, about airplanes and all her little friends. It's fabulous. I can't believe she's so grown-up already. We have real conversations now!

7:30 p.m. Zoe goes to bed, I go for a walk. Now Charles and I are watching Weeds (Season 5 - we're catching up - it's awesome!), and I am writing. I think it's almost time for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment