Sunday, September 19, 2010

Knowing my limits

I find myself drawn to TV shows, books, articles, and even movies that tell the story of those less fortunate, those in pain, or those who are going through something I hope I will never have to experience. My husband gives me a grief for wanting to read depressing stories. It's not that I like to hear depressing stories, I just tend to pause on them. I'm interested in how people cope, how they react, and at times, how they carry on with life.

It's usually safe to say that unless I have gone through the same experience as someone else, and in the same manner, I can't speak to exactly how they feel. I can guess as to what emotion the experience may leave behind, but I will never truly understand. So, when I find a book that lets me dive into the characters and feel what they are feeling, I become immersed. I think about the characters for days after I've finished reading. I ponder what they would have done if the situation was different. I examine why they chose to do what they did. I want to try my best to understand their emotional journey, and as a result, their choices.

This leads me to a book I recently caught wind of, ROOM by Emma Donoghue. With everything I said above, I'm not sure I can read this book. As a mother of a small son, something tells me this story may haunt me longer than others.

I want to understand the pain of others, but I'm not sure if I can handle the pain of a little boy. It may, for the first time, be a little too close to the heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment