Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Every so often, you can go home!

This post started out, earlier today, as kind of sappy, totally nostalgic. My mood throughout the day has changed, though, so I'm happy to report I've lightened things up a bit.

This past weekend, Zoe and I took a trip up to my original home state, New Jersey, to attend the christening of my best friend Amy's second child. As usual on these whirlwind, weekend trips home, I tried to squeeze as many visits in as possible. I may not have biologic family left up there, but I do have a handful of friends that I miss almost daily. It was exhausting, but here are some of my favorite memories for your perusal.

Amy picked us up at the airport, the backseat of her borrowed 4Runner jam-packed with three car seats. Our two girls, separated by four states for most of the year, took less than an hour to warm up to each other, and were quickly laughing hysterically over a stinky shoe. They held hands and sang while Amy and I chatted quietly in the front seat, giggling at the girls' antics. Amy and I, together through all of our childhood, were called Peanut Butter and Jelly; Zoe and Gabriella are more like Chocolate and Vanilla - not frequently together, but completely complimentary.

We went to my friend Tina's house, which was a re-construction zone the last time I saw it. Now it's amazing. Zoe sat on my lap at the kitchen table and asked, "Where's the kitchen table?" I laughed and said, sarcasm oozing, "Um, you're touching it?" Tina snorted with laughter, happy to see my snarky-college-self make a sudden appearance. Some things don't change.

We went to brunch with my friend Christina and her son Brayden. It was my first time meeting him, and only Christina's third time with Zoe. We sat at a table and chatted for over an hour, and it was like we were never apart. Then we took our kids to the park where we used to exercise together, where once an elderly man stopped us to tell us that we made a striking picture next to one another, and we sat on a bench while Brayden napped quietly and Zoe played loudly. "I wish we could do this every Saturday," Christina said at one point. Wow, Chris, so do I!

We went to my friend Alison's house, where I had not been in three years. While Zoe played in her children's playroom, I helped myself to a glass of water, opening cabinets without even thinking to ask, because it just felt like home to me. We followed her down to a block party where I awkwardly tried to make small talk with her neighbors while catching up with Al and her husband, who told me I'm "not capitalist enough," which made me smile.

On Saturday night we had a party at Amy's where a handful of my friends, old and new, assembled for a few hours. The kids played with toys posed for pictures in front of a post. We laughed and ate tacos and caught up and drank beer and wine and it was nice. So. Nice.

And then at the christening on Sunday, after discussing with Zoe the rules of church (whisper, inside voices, be still), I was entertained by her flawed attempts to follow them. They included talking slightly quieter than usual, wiggling instead of jumping, and giggling at everything she saw. When, in a desperate attempt for calm, I suggested Zoe sing her favorite song in a whisper, she belted out Twinkle, Twinkle as loud as she could. Of course she did!

I felt so cozy, so at-home among my friends all weekend. I've been listening to Frank Sinatra today in an effort to prolong the homeyness.

But then, it was great coming home, too! Zoe ran halfway across the airport when she saw Charles leaning against a wall outside security. The look on his face when she leaped into his arms and hugged tight around his neck made me go all sappy and teary. And for me, seeing my other best friend standing there, holding our baby, made me so happy to be home, here in Charleston. My home. Where I have family. And friends. And a life.

So Jersey, I'll see you soon I hope, and in the meantime I've got Frank and Jon and Bruce and Facebook to keep me going!

No comments:

Post a Comment