Thursday, November 4, 2010

A tribute

Six (or seven? I'm losing track of time.) years ago, Charles and I started dating, and it was great. One day, while a little tipsy, I looked at him with roses in my eyes, and asked, "Will we always be this happy?" It was my way of telling him how much I loved him and how thrilled I was we were together.

The only thing that could have stood in our way was the absolute divergence of our backgrounds. I come from Yankee stock, Jewish roots and a family that has scattered to the four corners of the world. Charles's family has spent generations in Charleston, is an established family in the area, and most of them belong to the same church.

I couldn't imagine this proper, quintessential Southern family ever accepting this liberal Northern girl.

That shows you just how much I DIDN'T know.

I remember the first time we headed to a big family affair. It was being held at a house that has been in the family for many generations; Charles's grandfather grew up in this house with his brothers, all of whom served in World War II. The house sits on the shore of the Charleston Harbor in perhaps my favorite neighborhood ever.

I was so nervous that day. It meant so much to me, for them to like me, because Charles meant so much to me.

Everyone was absolutely lovely and I felt so accepted and welcomed right from the get-go. And one person in particular made me feel so at home, I've never forgotten it.

His name was Uncle Wing, and he was Charles's grandfather's brother. Charles's grandfather passed away before I had the opportunity to meet him, and Uncle Wing seemed to step in to fill that role. Handsome in his bow-tie, he sat down next to me on the back porch of the house his parents had built, and patted my hand as he launched into the story of his life as a boy, when the marsh that now butted against the property was a white sand beach, when he and his brothers lived in a different world. He made a huge effort to get to know me, and to let me get to know a piece of the history of a really remarkable family.

I've held a special place for Uncle Wing in my heart ever since, and have enjoyed every opportunity that I've had to see him.

He passed away early this morning, and the family has lost a patriarch, and I have lost a friend and a role model of true Southern hospitality.

He will be missed. For sure.

1 comment: