Tuesday, November 23, 2010

An evening of thanks

Life is about to get really hectic for a few days as Charles, Zoe and I head up to my sister-in-law's house in North Carolina. It should be a great trip, and it includes a trip to Durham to watch the UNC/Duke rivalry football game (go 'Heels!!), so I'm really excited.

But I don't know how much time it will leave for writing.

So I thought I'd do my Thanksgiving post tonight, while Charles is already upstairs sleeping and I have a few quiet minutes before I follow him to bed.

Rather than just listing those things for which I am thankful (of which there are probably thousands, I kid you not...from the amazingly good health of my daughter to the deliciousness of pizza), I thought I'd thank a few key people in my life for all the things they've done over the years.

First off, to my parents, Sassy and Pops or Mom and Dad or Wendy and Andy, thanks first for life. I don't know that I've ever said that.

Dad, thanks for instilling in me a love of both horror movies and musicals, two things that have shaped my imagination over the years. Thanks for teaching me that family is always more important than career, a lesson I have employed in my own life. And thanks for always being willing to come pick me up when I need a rescue (i.e. lost my car key in my own house!!).

Mom, thanks for every time you've ever babysat - it's appreciated. Thanks for my personality - I know much of it is yours as well. Thanks for brisket and matzoh ball soup and brownies and that potato soup this past weekend. YUM. And thanks for sharing your love of writing with me, because without that I'd be a little lost I think.

And my brothers...Daniel and Jonathan. I honestly think a girl could not possibly have two better brothers, so to each of you, thanks for that.

Daniel, thank you for being smart and creative and funny and for always showing me how cool it is to be all of those things. Thanks for being excited about the fact that I want to come to London to visit you in February. It still amazes me that you like to hang out with your annoying little sister.

Jon, thanks for always being willing to listen to me vent. Thanks for reminding me this summer that it's ok to step out of my comfort zone every now and again, and thanks for throwing a KICK ASS wedding party. We had a great time. And thanks for sharing running with me now - I really love that.

To your spouses, Zeke and Michelle - thanks for being excellent in-laws. I'm happy to consider you a brother and sister, and I'm SO happy you make my brothers so happy.

To my *other* in-law, my sister-in-law Mary, thanks for being one of my best friends, in addition to being such a great sister to Charles. I am so excited that we'll be sharing this holiday this year. Thanks for loving red wine and for your understanding of all things girl-related - you are my girl-touchstone. And thanks for having a fun husband, too, because we LOVE spending time with both of you.

To my mother-in-law, Harriet, thanks for always having a recipe handy when I need it (I made the mac&cheese this week and apparently I finally did it right!!). Thanks for everything you do for us and for Zoe and for loving all three of us. Thank you for all that you do for your extended family, too - you are a great example to follow.

To Zoe, even though you can't read, thanks for being such a super cool kid, and for doing random things like kissing my friends goodnight when they're visiting, and for being an awesome travel-companion this year. Thanks for singing "Hey Jude" and the ABCs when I ask, and thanks for trying to remember to say "Please" and "Thank you" without needing to be prompted. Thanks for loving fruit as much as I do and for giving me an excuse to always keep it in the house. Thanks for being so darn lovable. Like, every single day. Even on the rough days.

And finally, to my husband, thank you, thank you, thank you for being an amazing husband and a fantastic dad, and thank you for all that you do for me EVERY STINKIN' DAY. Sometimes I can't believe all you do around the house and how you mostly always stay cheerful about life. Thank you for your silly songs and your Curious George stories and your tendency to send me instant message pictures of sheep. Thank you for every hug and kiss you've given me.

To all of you, I love you and I'm thankful for you each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment