Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Back to reality - a round-up

I've been writing a post in my head (where I do my best writing) about all the surprise realities of being a parent, and I promise, it's going to be good. When I get to it...

But today I've been distracted, and it turns out the thing I'd like to do tonight is share some excellent links with you. They're mostly of a thoughtful/hopeful/humanitarian theme, so please take the time to read, watch, enjoy and think.

  • Ok, a "Little Monster" I am not, and I'm not a huge fan of Lady Gaga by any stretch of the imagination, but I don't think there's a person on this Earth who can argue with the beauty of the message of Gaga's newest single, "Born this Way." To really enjoy the message, though, here's a pared down cover version sung by a girl who can't be more than nine or ten years old. Beautiful, simple and lovely.
  • I am, on the other hand, a HUGE (all CAPS, really!!!) fan of Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations on the Travel Channel, and seriously, his season opener in Haiti is amazing. He took a risk, I think, that could earn him an Emmy (easily!) by visiting the down-trodden capital, Port Au Prince. He showed the sad side (purchasing meals for starving children lead to badness), the beautiful side (amazing artwork created by children in the back-alley slums), and the harsh realities of a hurricane bearing down on the battered city. He also spent a bit of time with Sean Penn, who's been down there almost permanently since the earthquake. It was a brilliant episode. Please watch it.
  • Speaking of Sean Penn (yes, I do mean Spicoli!!), here's an article from last July's Vanity Fair that details his work down there in Haiti. The man's been working his ass off, just trying to do his small (HUGE) part to help. Please read it.
  • Finally, I learned today while having lunch with a friend that a senior Vice President from my company (Blackbaud, Inc., in case you wondered) is on a mission trip installing clean water systems in Peru. He's blogging his trip, and so far, he's had some pretty amazing experiences. Take a minute to even check out his pictures - pretty impressive. I hope one day I have an opportunity to take a similar trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment